Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Playing School

Aylin wanted to go to school this year.  I don't know where it came from, she enjoyed the couple of times she visited my school when I was working, but all summer she talked about "going to school like a big kid."  Even after I told her I would not be returning to work, she insisted on "going to school to play with the kids."  Bobby and I decided we were not going to pay the $100+ a month for her to attend a preschool or mother's day out program, so instead we are "PLAYING SCHOOL" at home.  That is what she calls it :)  We started last week; as soon as Hilton falls asleep for his morning nap, Aylin announces "Time to play school Momma!"  She is only 3, so this is not a have to do activity.  So far, we have not Played School for longer than an hour, and one day it was only 20 mins.  But it is giving us a chance to do something together everyday without brother, and I think that is her favorite part.  Here are some pictures of our 1st week of playing school:
1st Day of 3 year old Preschool. Aylin Jewel was very excited!  We did the Letter A and Number 1.  Bible stories discussed: Abraham, Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, Only 1 God. 
Activity 1: Tracing in Applesauce
 
 
Activity 2: An Ark Abundant with Animals
Activity 3: All About Me Poster
I asked her a version of that 20 question interview for your kids all over Pinterest.  Then we cut out pictures for some of the answers and glued them on the page.  She decided to hang this up on her door.  She loved painting her hands and feet, and her eyes are her thumb prints :)
Activity 4: ANT Restauraunt
We picked different foods and placed them on the tables.  We used watermellon, pineapple, honey, chocolate syrup, saltine cracker, sliced cheese, and a teddy graham.  Then we predicted what foods the ants would like the most.  Aylin's guess was her teddy graham.  We put it outside in the yard and waited for 4 hours. 
 
 We had ANTS! 
 They LOVED the honey!  We also examined the long line of ants that lead out of our backyard and talked about how they were taking food back to their home.  At this point Aylin flipped out! LOL!  She started screaming that they were all over her, nevermind that I was already holding her in my arms because she didn't want them to get her.  It was hilarious.  She calmed down pretty quickly, and decided to leave her restaurant in the yard for her daddy to see.  Unfortunately, I forgot about it, and Buttercup and Tessie ate what was left of it :) But awesome science project!
 
Activity 5: Thumbprint Family
She put this on our fridge.
We had a great 1st week.  This week we are talking about the letter Y and number 0.

2 comments:

Create said...

Yay! What a fun time you all are having! I may do that ant experiment with my kids since we are studying insects for nature study this month. Very cool ideas :)

Ashley Strickland said...

How fun are you?! I am loving your ideas! I think I just may steal them!